Sunday, January 2, 2011

A new blog for documenting my thoughts as an educator

This is the beginning of year 2011. A new year with new beginnings and resolutions. As some of my friends know, I have had a hard time with resolutions this year, considering long and hard at the roles I play and what I hope to acheive in the year. One of the roles that I truly enjoy is that of an educator. What does it mean to be an educator? Is it a title that comes with a job or is it a role, an inner self that a person identifies with whether you are teaching or not? Many friends will know that I am only armed with a Diploma in ECCE from Wheelock College, and some years of teaching experience. And the biggest point of all is, I am technically out of job. This left me pondering... Am I still an educator? or I was an educator? I love my job so much, that whenever I read about research on education, it gets stuck on me, almost as much as shopping. Ha.. Well, Finland is a very unique place and there are many researchers learning about the "methods" of education here; if there is such a method, such as REggio EMilia or Montessori. I will share simple stories about what I learn about their system here with my readings and experiences.

I hope it will be a good sharing place for Singaporeans to reflect on what we really want to impart and educate to our children.

Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment