Thursday, January 19, 2012

Outsourcing education in SG.

Coming back to SG to escape from the bitter cold in the North, we have taken at least two months to get accustomed to everything at home. Funny, isn't it?
In Singapore, we have the government schools, well-trained teachers, different types of tuition and enrichments, ranging from Shichida to Kumon. Singapore is not simply a multi-cultural and multi-racial society now. It has transformed itself to become international in its population, its brands for bags, food and education alike. Is this a good sign? Let's leave this to another post.
Well, back to the priorities of SG education. We have all the various classes from different schools of thought abd we outsource. Outsource our duty of educating our kids to these centres, well established and with a proven track record. please do not be mistaken that these centres are below what they have claim to be, I cannot prove the effectiveness. But, one thing I know for sure is when we, as parents outsource the job of educating kids to read, write and all other things, we have lost the chance to motivate, control and build something as special as a bond. This relationship is also outsourced, delegated to trained individuals but who also leave the lives of the children when they change positions or simple have left. How many children listen and argue constructively with their mums and dads in SG? How long do they do it for? The point is that we have exchanged the opportunity to participate in their learning when all we do is to drive them to lessons after lessons. And, I understand. I understand that the government policies in this part of the globe does not support mummies to stay at home. However, I feel very strongly against outsourcing my kids education. Because, to me, whether they are 1st in academics is not as important as if they know me and their daddy. They understand when we get angry, when they do things that are too much and we'll be truly truly mad. Cus when they become teenagers, they know the boundaries. They understand why, even if it is generation gap. They will learn to respect it. Not that my kids are perfect now. In fact, they are quite monstrous, but it gives me the opportunity to learn about their ways. Understand their thoughts and temepraments. Some days, I feel sad about how our society has evolved to let all women think that working mummy is common. How many of us have been raised by our own mummies and actually hold fond memories? I have the good and bad. But, I treasure the good more. I hope my kids will too.

PS: I am not saying I don't send my kids for any classes. I send them for classes daily, it keeps my sanity and staying sane is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment